There are very few things to which I haven’t applied washi tape. Except maybe the dog. I haven’t washi-ed her yet. I’ve put washi tape on a bicycle helmet. I’ve wrapped a diaper pail in nursery-matching washi tape colors. Now, I’m creating washi tape jewelry! Today’s Washi Tape Charm Necklace isn’t made to last forever, but the awesome thing about them is that that they are inexpensive and easy enough to make to match multiple outfits. The total cost of this necklace is one dollar or less!
- Leather lace cording in 1/8 mm, found at art and craft stores
- Thick card stock blank gift tag
- Washi tape
- Craft knife
- Self-healing mat or thick surface for cutting (pick a surface that you do not want to scratch with the craft knife)
Using the craft knife, carefully cut around the tag, removing the excess washi tape. This is by far the most tedious part. Keep a steady hand and concentrate! Do the same with the washi tape that is covering the hole within the tag.
Cut a length of the leather. I cut about 24″, but yours may differ. Keep in mind the following when cutting the cord:
- Who is wearing the necklace? An adult or child? A child will need less cord than an adult.
- Do you want to slip the necklace over your head each time or tie it on each time? If you want the necklace to be slip-on, allow for additional cord.
- It’s better to cut a little extra that has to be cut off at the end of the project than to not cut enough.
Knot the leather at the ends to create a necklace. Be sure to keep the washi tape charm in the center.
Melanie is a freelance writer and blogger at It Happens in a Blink. As a mom of four (which includes a set of triplets), she has made it her mission to find the quickest and easiest crafts, recipes, and DIY projects that any mom can do– even with four kids bouncing off the walls. Melanie learned to sew and cook the old school way from her grandmother. To date her claim to fame is winning a state Home Economics competition in high school. Follow along with her crazy life at her Blog | Facebook Page | Twitter | Instagram | and Youtube Channel.